- An account of the present state of the prisons, houses of correction, and hospitals in London and Westminster.. . Howard, John. London: Printed by order of the society lately instituted for giving effect to his Majesty's proclamation against vice and immorality, .
- The state of the prisons in England and Wales with preliminary observations, and an account of some foreign prisons and hospitals. Howard, John. Warrington: Eyres, 1780 [also 1784 & 1792 eds.]
George Onesiphorus Paul:
- Address to His Majesty's Justices of the peace for the county of Glocester on the subject of forming rules, orders, and bye-laws for the regulation and government of the prisons of the said county delivered at their Michaelmas General Quarter-Sessions, 1789. Paul, George Onesiphorus. Glocester: : Printed by D. Walker, at the office of the Glocester Journal, Westgate-Street., 1808.
- Address to His Majesty's justices of the peace for the County of Gloucester on the administration and practical effects of the system of prison regulation...,1809. Paul, George Onesiphorus. Glo[u]cester : Printed by D. Walker; Published for the benefit of the Fund for Prison Charities in Glocester Gaol... 1809.
- Prison Reform in Gloucestershire, 1776-1820 a study of the work of Sir George Onesiphorus Paul, Bart. Whiting, J.R.S. London: Phillimore, 1975.
- “HMP Gloucester: A Brief History.” Evans, Jill. Gloucestershire Crime History. 12 Sept. 2013.
- Observations on the visiting, superintendence, and government of female prisoners. Fry, Elizabeth Gurney. London : J. and A. Arch, 1827.
- The excellent Mrs. Fry : unlikely heroine. Isba, Anne. London ; New York : Continuum, 2010.
- Memoirs of Mrs. Elizabeth Fry: including a history of her labours in promoting the reformation of female prisoners, and the improvement of British seamen. Timpson, Thomas. London : Aylott and Jones, 1847.
- Elizabeth Fry : a Quaker life : selected letters and writings. Skidmore, Gil, ed. Lanham, Md. : AltaMira Press, c2005.
John T. Burt: